Friday, May 4, 2012

The Nesting Instinct

So I am officially 36 weeks pregnant which means we've come to the 9 month mark and nearing the end of this pregnancy!  I can't tell you how excited I am that this is nearly over.  I won't sit here and pretend that this has been a real hardship because as far as pregnancies go, mine has been easy sailing.  I have not been constantly harassed by nausea or crazy mood swings (minus a few breakdowns here and there).  I did get gestational diabetes and that has added stress for sure, but even that has been manageable and I have done well with it.  I think that I just miss feeling like myself.  I miss being able to do and eat and drink things that I could before getting pregnant.  And what I really want is to actually see and hold my son.  I can't wait for my little family to finally grow and be complete.

Anyway, so this nesting instinct that everyone talks about is really starting to hit me.  I decided to clean up the hall closet that holds our towels and toiletries and random other crap and then tackle the bathroom.  My husband used to run a suit store and therefore accumulated a ton of ties and two tie racks.  Since he no longer needs the ties we haven't had a real use for the racks so they have been collecting dust in closets and boxes for the past few years as we moved from apartment to apartment and finally this cozy little duplex we have now.  And sadly for me, the bathrooms seem to keep getting smaller and smaller.  Now we have this tiny little closet of a bathroom with little counter space and no shelves.  It struck me a while ago that we could build some small shelves and then we came across the tie racks.  They have been sitting in the bathroom just waiting to be hung up and today we finally put them up.


 Ta-da! The little tie pegs make perfect holders for necklaces, bracelets, and headbands.  And the tops provide perfect little shelves to hold the little items that used to clutter the tiny sink.



 Here is the before picture of my hall closet.  I find that I can't part with any shoe boxes but I put them to good use!






I used one for all my travel sized sample things.  I read in someone's blog that they use them for overnight guests as well as when they travel.  Over the next few months I am sure that we will see plenty of guests so this is the perfect place to keep things that my guests might have forgotten like shampoo, lotion, shaving lotion, etc.

I used another for my diabetic and pregnancy supplies.  Instead all of those paper bags the pharmacy provides, I put them all in a shoebox so I can now find things in a timely manner.




Here is my after picture!  On top of the shoe boxes I found uses for all the cosmetic bags I seem to have accumulated over the years.  Now everything is neat and organized and I can find what I need when I need it.  Let me tell you, there is nothing like the peace of mind a little organizing can do for you.  I think tomorrow I shall tackle the bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment